Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's Not Just About the Teeth


Many years ago, just after I had built a new dental office, I hired a man and his wife to clean the office each night. While the man was nice, his wife was almost openly hostile towards me. You can imagine my “delight” some time later when I saw her name on the schedule. She seemed to be somewhat relaxed around the staff but the second I walked in to the room she bristled. She was adamant that I remove my mask and walk around in front of her each and every time I entered the room. She did not want to be reclined completely and every time I had to touch her, she would wince. Additionally she had an auto immune disease and TMJ syndrome. At the end of every appointment I would feel like pulling my hair out.

Over the next couple years, I replaced several teeth with a bridge, altered her vertical dimension, made a lower partial and replace all of the composites in her anterior teeth. I was shocked about three years later when she wanted to get anterior veneers. I always wondered why if she was so afraid of me, why she continued with treatment with me. Years into the relationship the mystery was revealed. As a child she was abused and I reminded her of her abuser. Learning to deal with me, was her way of resolving these painful issues. “WHY ME?!?!?!?!?!?!”

But I am happy to report that eventually, I got it too. Knowing what the patient was dealing with, helped me treat her with more compassion. As we completed the veneers, I was pretty gratified to receive a big hug and “Thank You.” Several months later I was surprised to see my work on the front page of the local newspaper. My patient had gone to the paper to express her appreciation a public way for the treatment that she had received from me. I lost track of my patient for several years but recently I saw her in our local court house where she serves as an advocate for abused women. Now when I get frustrated with my patients, I try to remember, “It’s not just about the teeth.”

For more information on how DentistCEO provides expert dental consulting in Vancouver, WA to help you create your dream team, contact Dr. Brad Larsen of DentistCEO today!

No comments: