Friday, June 6, 2008

Excellence

This morning I had the opportunity to return to George Fox to speak to an O'Brien Dental Lab study club. I couldn't help bask in the memories of attending MBA classes at George Fox. Enrolling in a graduate degree program turned out to be a great way to transition into this phase of my life. As it turned out I not only received a stellar educational experience but I also felt rejuvenated by the process. I was in the company of students half my age at the beginning of their careers as I was transition out of my first career. My perspectives though different were always welcome and respected. The faculty and staff at George Fox typify the description of excellence that I found very early in my dental career that impacted me throughout my practice as I pursued "excellence" in my delivery of patient care and managed my business. How fortunate I was to have found O'Connor early in my career.
"Pursuit of excellence is an attitude…it involves wisdom and sound judgment…it is a lifetime, career-long commitment…it is a way of life…it is doing the job right the first time, every time. It is inner-directed, not the result of external pressure, it is our own self-worth – who we are and the pride and satisfaction that comes from being the right kind of person, not just in doing the right things." James J. O’Connor

No comments: